[This is another step in my larger project of understanding why D&C 42 and D&C 10 refer to the Book of Mormon as containing the “fulness of the gospel” and “points of doctrine.”]
A search at lds.org for “doctrine” in the Book of Mormon is the best way to start, of course: here’s the link.
Here’s a review of the list:
- 1 Ne 15:14 – Nephi’s remnant will know of gospel and “very points of his doctrine,” so “that they may know how to come unto him and be saved.”
- 2 Ne 3:12 – Judah and Joseph’s writings will confound false doctrines and contentions
- 2 Ne 27:35 – “they that murmured shall learn doctrine”
- 2 Ne 28 – wo to those who teach false doctrines
- 2 Ne 31:21 – chapter has taught “the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” My reading is that this is repentance, baptism, Holy Ghost, endure to the end.
- 2 Ne 32: 6 – “Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ” – looking at verse 5, it says, “For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.” – I assume then Nephi is referring to repentance, baptism, Holy Ghost, and continuing in the path, as taught in chapter 31.
- Jacob 7 – false doctrine taught, no Christ, overthrow gospel or doctrine of Christ
- Alma 1:16 – false doctrines and priestcrafts
- Alma 41:9 – “do not risk one more offense against your God upon those points of doctrine” (not clarified; I suppose it would be restoration.)
- Helaman 11:22-23 – “a few contentions concerning the points of doctrine” – but a few who “knew concerning the true points of doctrine” did “put an end to their strife” – focus on contention over doctrine again
- 3 Ne 2 – Satan telling people that doctrine of Christ was foolish
- 3 Ne 11:32-34 – “And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me. And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God. And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned. Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine…” and the Father “will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.”
- 3 Ne 21:6 – Gentiles have chance to be baptized and “know of the true points of my doctrine”
Seems pretty straightforward! Repent, believe, be baptized, and receive Holy Ghost. That is the “doctrine of Christ.”