Something sparked my interest, and I’ve decided to work through the Family Proclamation over and over again and see what I can learn. I want to be as familiar with it as I am with some of my favorite scriptural passages. I think that it’s too easily read over on just a surface level. It is meant for the “world” to be able to read it and access its ideas, so I understand why it’s surface appearance is the most likely one to be seen, read, and used. I want, however, to look past that surface level. What are the scriptures behind these ideas? How are they being summarized here? What is being implied but not stated outright? What information here is based on doctrine taught by Joseph Smith? What here would seem radical to someone outside of the Church? What information here would sound surprising to a feminist who is used to the doctrines of the Catholic Church or various protestant religions being the only Christian options? All of these questions have already helped me see the Proclamation in a new way, and I’m hoping to learn a great deal still.
October 15, 2014
Study of the Family Proclamation
This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 15th, 2014 at 5:23 am and tagged with family, Family Proclamation and posted in Prophets/Apostles studies, Scripture Studies, Serving/Teaching in the Church. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Aaronic Priesthood Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Alma 19 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon charity consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 Daughters In My Kingdom Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether 12 faith family Genesis 14 gifts of the spirit grace Hebrews Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST King Benjamin Lamanites marriage Melchizedek Melchizedek Priesthood Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 5 Moses 6 MSH Nephi new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood President Joseph Fielding Smith manual Priesthood Ranciere Relief Society sealing ordinance Sis. Beck small plates teaching teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster wisdom women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- Alma 13:3-8
- MSH paper, deliverable version
- Analyze D&C 10:43, and Conclusion (MSH paper, Wise Purposes)
- Alternate reading (MSH Paper, Wise Purposes)
- Standard Reading (MSH paper, Wise Purposes)
- NEW intro (MSH paper, Wise Purposes)
- Part 4 – God’s wisdom includes fulfilling promises **keep working**
- Fulfilling promises **write still**
- Abrahamic Covenant **keep working**
- Changing Vision of the Purpose of the Small Plates
- MSH paper on wisdom, intro
- D&C 10:21 similar to Laman and Lemuel
- D&C 10 cunning vs wisdom
- John Taylor – quote from his talk on wisdom. Have trust, and be willing to sacrifice
- John Taylor talk on wisdom – if God can command in great things, why can’t he help us in all things?