I was looking up some other words in Hebrew, and found this site of Biblical names and their meanings. For now I’m going to assume it’s an accurate enough site. I noticed that “Gershom” (and also “Gershon”) means “exile” or “a stranger there.” While I had always thought that the Nephites gave up a land previously named the land of Jershon, perhaps they renamed it when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s moved there. Perhaps they renamed it when they gave it to them as a place of safety, a place for these exiled Lamanites.
July 8, 2012
Possible meaning of “Jershon?”
This entry was posted on Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:35 pm and posted in Scripture Studies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
One response to “Possible meaning of “Jershon?””
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Aaronic Priesthood Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Alma 19 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon charity consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 Daughters In My Kingdom Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether 12 faith family Genesis 14 gifts of the spirit grace Hebrews Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST King Benjamin Lamanites marriage Melchizedek Melchizedek Priesthood Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 5 Moses 6 MSH Nephi new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood President Joseph Fielding Smith manual Priesthood Ranciere Relief Society sealing ordinance Sis. Beck small plates teaching teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster wisdom women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- D&C 10:21 similar to Laman and Lemuel
- D&C 10 cunning vs wisdom
- John Taylor – quote from his talk on wisdom. Have trust, and be willing to sacrifice
- John Taylor talk on wisdom – if God can command in great things, why can’t he help us in all things?
- Extra notes from study group
- Alma 37 — which plates?
- Jacob and the Lamanites
- Don’t they know the wise purpose?
- Notes from Elder Hales’s talk from Oct. 2016 — teaching, watching, serving
- Just saving Sister Beck’s talk, in case it’s ever archived and removed from the web!
- Verses about wisdom and brass plates, other plates
- Verses about wisdom, covenant, and the Book of Mormon
- Sister Beck’s story about educated women sitting in a park with children
- A few articles on the Portland Temple
- Revisited D&C 42:12-14