I was looking up some other words in Hebrew, and found this site of Biblical names and their meanings. For now I’m going to assume it’s an accurate enough site. I noticed that “Gershom” (and also “Gershon”) means “exile” or “a stranger there.” While I had always thought that the Nephites gave up a land previously named the land of Jershon, perhaps they renamed it when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s moved there. Perhaps they renamed it when they gave it to them as a place of safety, a place for these exiled Lamanites.
July 8, 2012
Possible meaning of “Jershon?”
This entry was posted on Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:35 pm and posted in Scripture Studies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
One response to “Possible meaning of “Jershon?””
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Aaronic Priesthood Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Bednar Elder Christofferson Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether 12 Eve faith family Genesis 2 Genesis 14 gifts of the spirit grace Hebrews Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST marriage Melchizedek Melchizedek Priesthood Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 5 Moses 6 Nephi Nephites new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood President Joseph Fielding Smith manual Priesthood Ranciere Relief Society sealing ordinance Sis. Beck Sunday School teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster tithing women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 1 YW Manual 2 YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- Faith is faith on a word about Christ
- Abraham in Egypt
- Alma 7:10 (Mary in the Book of Mormon)
- Ether 12 notes from Joe’s class: The Book of Mormon is a gift
- Receiving the Blessings of the Oath and Covenant
- Alma 12 and Psalm 95
- John 17 and D&C 84
- Still love this quotation…
- Similarity in Matt 18, D&C 84, and Alma 13 — “those who receive”
- A few notes from Study Group on D&C 84:39
- Oath & Covenant, which belongeth
- Alma 12/13/14 themes
- Hypothetical Situation: What if there were a book called something like “Recent Discourses on Priesthood”?
- D&C 84 is a mix of both halves of Hebrews
- Another thought from this Hebrews commentary