I was looking up some other words in Hebrew, and found this site of Biblical names and their meanings. For now I’m going to assume it’s an accurate enough site. I noticed that “Gershom” (and also “Gershon”) means “exile” or “a stranger there.” While I had always thought that the Nephites gave up a land previously named the land of Jershon, perhaps they renamed it when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s moved there. Perhaps they renamed it when they gave it to them as a place of safety, a place for these exiled Lamanites.
July 8, 2012
Possible meaning of “Jershon?”
This entry was posted on Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:35 pm and posted in Scripture Studies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
One response to “Possible meaning of “Jershon?””
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Aaronic Priesthood Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Alma 19 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Bednar Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether 12 Eve faith family Genesis 2 Genesis 14 gifts of the spirit grace Hebrews Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST King Benjamin marriage Melchizedek Melchizedek Priesthood Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 5 Moses 6 Mosiah 4 Nephi new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood President Joseph Fielding Smith manual Priesthood Ranciere Relief Society sealing ordinance Sis. Beck Sunday School teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster tithing women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 1 YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- Fulness of the Gospel
- President Nelson October 2015
- President Nelson April 2016
- Zion, a place without war
- A reading of King Benjamin’s speech
- Enemy to God
- Outline for a real paper on Words of Mormon
- King Benjamin: what information did Mormon add to what Amaleki had written?
- What is so wise? (Words of Mormon and D&C 10)
- Words of Mormon 1:4-6
- “Wisdom” in D&C 10
- Lots of insights from MSH! (updated as I have time to add more notes)
- MSH Paper: Stewardship and Hierarchy in a Secular Age (Final version)
- New MSH Paper! In progress…
- hierarchies that undo themselves