I was looking up some other words in Hebrew, and found this site of Biblical names and their meanings. For now I’m going to assume it’s an accurate enough site. I noticed that “Gershom” (and also “Gershon”) means “exile” or “a stranger there.” While I had always thought that the Nephites gave up a land previously named the land of Jershon, perhaps they renamed it when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s moved there. Perhaps they renamed it when they gave it to them as a place of safety, a place for these exiled Lamanites.
July 8, 2012
Possible meaning of “Jershon?”
This entry was posted on Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:35 pm and posted in Scripture Studies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
One response to “Possible meaning of “Jershon?””
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Aaronic Priesthood Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 D&C 121 Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Bednar Elder Christofferson Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether 12 Eve faith family Genesis 2 Genesis 14 gifts of the spirit grace Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST marriage Melchizedek Melchizedek Priesthood Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 5 Moses 6 Nephi Nephites new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood President Joseph Fielding Smith manual Priesthood Ranciere Relief Society sealing ordinance Sis. Beck Sunday School teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster tithing women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 1 YW Manual 2 YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- 2 Nephi 9:3 — Rejoice now, because later generations are redeemed?
- Quotations from every chapter of The Ignorant Schoolmaster (which perhaps make up a descent summary of the whole book)
- “Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.”
- Deep Sleep
- Sustaining vote?
- Mysteries of the kingdom are a key to the mysteries of the kingdom?
- Trying to riddle out D&C 84:19 a bit…
- D&C 110 and keys
- Why did Nephi copy down all those chapters of Isaiah?
- Jonah & the Runaway Bunny
- Just a draft of a comment for Dews From Heaven
- 1 Nephi, Chapter 20 “out of the waters of baptism”
- Isaiah & the Redeemer
- Another thought on 1 Nephi Chapter 18 (Looking for the Abrahamic Covenant)
- A thought on 1 Nephi 18:9-10