I was looking up some other words in Hebrew, and found this site of Biblical names and their meanings. For now I’m going to assume it’s an accurate enough site. I noticed that “Gershom” (and also “Gershon”) means “exile” or “a stranger there.” While I had always thought that the Nephites gave up a land previously named the land of Jershon, perhaps they renamed it when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s moved there. Perhaps they renamed it when they gave it to them as a place of safety, a place for these exiled Lamanites.
July 8, 2012
Possible meaning of “Jershon?”
This entry was posted on Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:35 pm and posted in Scripture Studies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
One response to “Possible meaning of “Jershon?””
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Alma 30 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon Brigham Young consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 D&C 121 D&C 132 Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Bednar Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether Ether 12 Ether 12:27 faith Genesis 2 gifts of the spirit grace Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST King Benjamin Korihor March 2013 marriage Melchizedek Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 6 Mosiah 4 Nephi Nephites new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood prayer Priesthood promise concerning seed Relief Society Sis. Beck teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster tithing women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 1 YW Manual 2 YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- Adam and Eve: coats of skins as a “mark”?
- Questions from my discussion with Joe yesterday about priesthood in the Book of Mormon
- Thoughts from the Joseph Smith manual: John the Baptist
- Why am I where I am?
- Some thoughts on Adam and Eve today
- Abrahamic Covenant: How we are able to serve “as if” we were the literal chosen seed of Abraham
- Sexual difference in Genesis 1 and 2
- Priests versus “a”/”the” high priest in the first half of the Book of Mormon
- Abraham wanting to be a Prince of Peace
- Prayer and the words “in the name of” (for YW January 2014 Lesson on the Godhead)
- Quick thoughts on Genesis 14
- Working on Alma 13:14-20
- The Block Schedule
- Notes on Luke 1