I was looking up some other words in Hebrew, and found this site of Biblical names and their meanings. For now I’m going to assume it’s an accurate enough site. I noticed that “Gershom” (and also “Gershon”) means “exile” or “a stranger there.” While I had always thought that the Nephites gave up a land previously named the land of Jershon, perhaps they renamed it when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s moved there. Perhaps they renamed it when they gave it to them as a place of safety, a place for these exiled Lamanites.
July 8, 2012
Possible meaning of “Jershon?”
This entry was posted on Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:35 pm and posted in Scripture Studies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
One response to “Possible meaning of “Jershon?””
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Aaronic Priesthood Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon Brigham Young consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 D&C 121 Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Bednar Elder Christofferson Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether 12 Eve faith family Genesis 2 Genesis 14 gifts of the spirit grace Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST marriage Melchizedek Melchizedek Priesthood Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 5 Moses 6 Nephi Nephites new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood President Joseph Fielding Smith manual Priesthood Relief Society sealing ordinance Sis. Beck Sunday School teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster tithing women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 1 YW Manual 2 YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- An interpretation of Abraham 1:4
- Quotation from Elder Cook on choosing wisely; that is, on consecration
- Question on 84:17
- “Any human work of art is the practice of the same intellectual potential”
- Quick quotation from Joseph Smith on the equal enjoyment of all when we work with the Spirit
- Study of the Family Proclamation
- The Ignorant Steward: Five Lessons in Spiritual Emancipation
- Fascinating D&C 84…
- Working & motherhood
- Summary of Ranciere
- Administering the gospel vs. Preaching the gospel?
- Anyone Can Teach / Anyone Can Cook
- Inheriting all the Father hath = becoming His family?
- Priesthood does not equal leadership!
- The promise I want to give Women In the Church