I was looking up some other words in Hebrew, and found this site of Biblical names and their meanings. For now I’m going to assume it’s an accurate enough site. I noticed that “Gershom” (and also “Gershon”) means “exile” or “a stranger there.” While I had always thought that the Nephites gave up a land previously named the land of Jershon, perhaps they renamed it when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s moved there. Perhaps they renamed it when they gave it to them as a place of safety, a place for these exiled Lamanites.
July 8, 2012
Possible meaning of “Jershon?”
This entry was posted on Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:35 pm and posted in Scripture Studies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
One response to “Possible meaning of “Jershon?””
My Mormon.org Profilehttp://mormon.org/me/3WTB/#
- 1 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 Nephi 2 2 Nephi 25 3 Nephi Abraham Abraham 2 Abrahamic Covenant Adam Adam and Eve Alma Alma 13 Alma 30 Amulek & Alma Atonement Book of Mormon Brigham Young consecration D&C 20 D&C 25 D&C 42 D&C 42 Seminar D&C 46 D&C 50 D&C 84 D&C 121 Dews From Heaven Blog Elder Bednar Elder Christofferson Elder Oaks Emma Enoch Ether 12 faith family Genesis 2 Genesis 14 gifts of the spirit grace Isaiah Isaiah in the Book of Mormon Jacob James Joseph Smith JST Korihor marriage Melchizedek Mormon Moroni Moses Moses 5 Moses 6 Nephi Nephites new youth curriculum Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood prayer Priesthood promise concerning seed Relief Society sealing ordinance Sis. Beck Sunday School teaching by the spirit temple The Ignorant Schoolmaster tithing women women and the priesthood Words of Mormon YW Manual 1 YW Manual 2 YW Manual 3 Zion
My last 15 posts:
- Teaching on the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood, Part 2
- Teaching on the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood, Part 1
- An interpretation of D&C 84:31-34
- Some of my favorite talks from April 2014 Conference
- My personal idol: The “being a responsible human being” idol :)
- Link to a talk by Elder Nelson on “children of the covenant”
- Search results for “Covenant” in the Book of Mormon
- Oh yah: It’s daring to trust and be adventurous that opens up the possibility of teaching. I remember that now.
- How do I teach??
- Horizontal vs Vertical Priesthood
- Ranciere & the Church
- D&C 113
- My feelings this Easter
- 131 search results for “covenant” in the Book of Mormon